[Bacula-users] Cannot bind port 9101
le dahut
2007-12-03 13:06:15 UTC
Hello
I experience a problem on bacula 2.0.3 (Ubuntu) with the error message
"Warning: Cannot bind port 9101: ERR=Address already in use.".
This message appear randomly after several days/weeks of good work. Once
this appears, 'netstat -anpe' shows that for example smbd (it can be
something else) uses the port 9101. After samba restart, slapd uses it,
then mysql etc. I have to reboot the server for things returning in order.

What's happening ?

K.

P.S. : I already sent this message this morning but I've just seen I
hadn't subscribe to the list, sorry if you've received this mail twice.
Christof Klaus
2007-12-03 15:01:53 UTC
Post by le dahut
Hello
I experience a problem on bacula 2.0.3 (Ubuntu) with the error message
"Warning: Cannot bind port 9101: ERR=Address already in use.".
This message appear randomly after several days/weeks of good work. Once
this appears, 'netstat -anpe' shows that for example smbd (it can be
something else) uses the port 9101. After samba restart, slapd uses it,
then mysql etc. I have to reboot the server for things returning in order.
What's happening ?
K.
P.S. : I already sent this message this morning but I've just seen I
hadn't subscribe to the list, sorry if you've received this mail twice.
sounds like the process which started bacula died and afterwards bacula
itself died..
ive only seen this phenomenon in correlation to zombie-processes.

you maybe have your own management tool to start / stop daemons ? (cause
"init" normally shouldnt die ;))
hope this helps.

greets, christof
le dahut
2007-12-03 15:42:56 UTC
Bacula services (dir, fd, sd) are started at boot time and restarted
using '/etc/init.d/bacula-X restart'.

I have a preexec job and a postexec job and I've found this
http://osdir.com/ml/bacula.user/2003-10/msg00270.html
(unfortunately it is a little bit old : 2003)
greets, christof
Martin Simmons
2007-12-03 17:34:24 UTC
Post by le dahut
Hello
I experience a problem on bacula 2.0.3 (Ubuntu) with the error message
"Warning: Cannot bind port 9101: ERR=Address already in use.".
This message appear randomly after several days/weeks of good work. Once
this appears, 'netstat -anpe' shows that for example smbd (it can be
something else) uses the port 9101. After samba restart, slapd uses it,
then mysql etc. I have to reboot the server for things returning in order.
What's happening ?
Maybe you have configured the machine like that? Try checking

sysctl net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range

__Martin
le dahut
2007-12-04 09:11:25 UTC
It returns me this :
"""
***@work:~# sysctl net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 32768 61000
"""

What do you mean with "you have configured the machine like that" ?
__Martin
Martin Simmons
2007-12-04 11:32:53 UTC
Post by le dahut
"""
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 32768 61000
"""
Ah, that looks OK.
Post by le dahut
What do you mean with "you have configured the machine like that" ?
If net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range is set incorrectly then it might cause the
port problem. Otherwise, port 9101 should never be used by samba or other
daemons because they listen on their own ports.

Can you post the netstat output after you get ERR=Address already in use?

__Martin
Post by le dahut
Post by Martin Simmons
Post by le dahut
Hello
I experience a problem on bacula 2.0.3 (Ubuntu) with the error message
"Warning: Cannot bind port 9101: ERR=Address already in use.".
This message appear randomly after several days/weeks of good work. Once
this appears, 'netstat -anpe' shows that for example smbd (it can be
something else) uses the port 9101. After samba restart, slapd uses it,
then mysql etc. I have to reboot the server for things returning in order.
What's happening ?
Maybe you have configured the machine like that? Try checking
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range
__Martin
from Novell.